Eggs, butter and sugar are some of the main and crucial ingredients that need to be added into the cupcake batter in order to produce some delicious goodness. However, most of us should already know that these ingredients (eggs, butter and sugar) are high in cholesterol and fats. So, read on to find out more about how you can substitute these ingredients with healthier alternatives so as to lessen the guilt of eating cupcakes or any type of cake for that matter.
Replacement for eggs
- Egg substitute- usually unflavored so original taste not affected
- Tofu –adds flavor and is able to mimic the consistency of eggs
- Banana- perfect amount of moisture when compared with eggs but food would have a banana taste and fruit sweetness. Cupcake produced would be dense.
- Applesauce- perfect amount of moisture when compared to eggs but cupcake produced would be dense and not fluffy and light.
- Vinegar mixed with water/ baking soda- chemistry between vinegar and water/baking soda creates fizz that causes cake to rise and have a light texture.
- Ground flaxseed- have a nutty flavor that goes well with muffins, pancakes, oatmeal cookies
Replacement for butter
- Pumpkin puree- great for breads, muffin, cakes, brownies
- Applesauce- great for cakes
- Prune puree- great for chocolate baked treats and brownies
- Banana- cake produced would be dense and would have a strong banana smell
Replacement for sugar
- Honey- able to bind the batter and is sweeter than sugar. Different colour of honey has a different extent of sweetness so a bit of experiment would help
- Raisins (and shredded coconut) – add subtle sweetness and texture to cake.
- Banana- sweet fruit but cake produced would be dense.
Many people say baking is harder than cooking as baking is a science that needs tools, skills and quality ingredients to bake a fluffy, moist cake. Its fortunate that there are replacements out there to substitute egg, butter and sugar hence allowing us to have our cake and eat it! These healthier alternatives would surely make eating less guilty and more enjoyable 😉
Look out for healthier options and flavors here atCup.Cakes SingaporeIts surely something that you wouldn’t want to miss!